The study by the Center for Business and Economic Research at UT Knoxville also found that the university generates an estimated $237.6 million in state and local tax revenue.
Data from fiscal year 2008 was analyzed to estimate the economic impact of the UT system overall and the campuses in Knoxville, Martin, Chattanooga, the Health Science Center in Memphis and the Space Institute in Tullahoma.
Students and visitors attending athletic events at each campus spent about $348 million, accounting for $147.3 million in income and 4,879 jobs.
The study did not include visitors attending non-athletic events.
For the individual campuses:
• UT Knoxville: Economic impact: $950.2 million. Jobs created: 23,055.
• UT Health Science Center: Economic impact: $761.2 million. Jobs created: 12,433.
• UT Chattanooga: Economic impact: $205 million. Jobs created: 5,232.
• UT Martin: Economic impact: $138.5 million. Jobs created: 3,844.
• UT Space Institute: Economic impact: $19.3 million. Jobs created: 362.
Nashville Entrepreneur Center names Michael Burcham as presidentReal Estate Outlook: Faster Recovery?