Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fisher's focus on saving Titans, not job

Titans owner Bud Adams, who wants to see improvement from his surprisingly miserable football team, has put Coach Jeff Fisher on notice.
Yet as the Titans head into their bye week, Fisher said his first priority is getting his players on track toward their first victory. Job security, he said, is a distant second.

"I am looking forward to this week and I can't wait to get started tomorrow and working through this week to try and help and improve this football team,'' Fisher said on Monday. "I am not in any kind of survival mode or fearful of my job or concerned about job security whatsoever."

On Sunday the Patriots steamrolled the Titans, 59-0, the worst loss in franchise history. On Sunday night, Titans owner Bud Adams told The Tennessean he wouldn't make a coaching change during the season, but offered no promises about Fisher's future if things don't improve.

"I'll have to make my decision after the season is up,'' Adams said. "Right now we're not doing too well, and that worries me.''

Dating to last season, the Titans (0-6) have lost eight games in a row. The Jaguars, Colts and Patriots outscored them by a combined 127-26 the past three weeks.

"I am a coach and do the best I can with this football team," Fisher said. "I have a good coaching staff. I have tremendous confidence in my coaching staff and tremendous confidence in the players that we're going to get this turned around.''

Fisher, in his 15th season as head coach, is under contract through 2011. His overall record is 128-108, but he is 5-6 in the playoffs — 0-3 since his last postseason victory in the 2003 season.

Practices will be closed to the media this week and there is potential for lineup changes, Fisher said. Although questions about his job are swirling, he said it comes with the territory.

"There's all kinds of distractions on the National Football League," Fisher said. "It is how you deal with them."

Although Adams said he doesn't believe in making changes in season, he's done so before. Fisher got the job in 1994 when Jack Pardee was fired after a 1-9 start. In 1993, Pardee guided the Oilers to a 12-4 finish.

(2 of 2)

New figures on jobs validate stimulusReal Estate Outlook: Sales Stats and Rates